Monday, March 23, 2015

Rant: Family

This week marks my son's birthday. While this is a fun time for him and the majority of my family, it's also a time that year after year I am reminded of who I as a person. I am also given the opportunity to grow.

While I will take that opportunity to grow, that doesn't mean that I am ok with the current situation.

There are certain people related to my son who think that they are entitled to be involved in his life because they are blood related. It's all about the blood!

So here is my rant.
(Steps on soapbox) Just because your blood runs through my child's veins does not mean that you are entitled to being in his life. If you want to be in his life make the conscious choice to know him as a person and be involved. Don't blame me when you never get to see him and why he doesn't know you. He doesn't know you because you choose to be involved when it's convenient for you... for your own selfish purposes. Oh hey, it's his birthday this week... and now you want to come see him. Shock. You know what? He's a freaking AWESOME kid, and while it's your blood in him... he's every bit of me. He's driven, ambitious, creative, a smart-ass, stubborn, sweet, little boy... who will one day be a great man. Not because of your blood, but because of mine. Because we show love. We live love. WE ARE FAMILY, not just because blood and genetics tell us that; but because we live it everyday. Family is more than blood. It's actions. You don't like me; I don't care and I never will care. But you know what, because you don't like me, I have a hard time understanding how you will ever like my son.... because he's JUST LIKE ME. Go ahead and tell yourself that he's like his father. You don't know any of us..... your own son included.

So there's that. You aren't entitled to him because of his blood. You aren't entitled to him, period. He's mine. He's his father's. He's a product of the group of people that I call my family, and they know it's more than just genetics. It's about being there, loving and supporting each other, and taking care of one another.  You don't understand that. You'll never understand that.

I normally feel sorry for you and the limitations you create in your life. Today, however, I am frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment