Sunday, October 13, 2013

Falling in Love with Autism

Today I am reminded of another thing that has shaped my life and who I am. Each year, people in central Ohio gather to take part in Walk Now for Autism Speaks. This is my group, I am hiding under the tree.

I have been working with kids with autism since 2001. I was a high school graduate, going to college to major in psychology, but I didn't know why. I knew I wanted to work with people. I knew I wanted to do something to help, teach, or fight, but I wasn't sure what. That summer I started working with a little boy, who we will call Samuel. 

Samuel was only 3 years old. He was only slightly verbal (words were just emerging) and engaged in tantrum behavior such as throwing objects, headbanging, and biting. I wasn't sure what I had gotten myself into for this "internship" for college. This was supposed to be a way to get perspective and volunteer at the same time. I was hit, bit, kicked, had a chair thrown at my face. None of that seemed to matter when Samuel looked at me and said, "Happy Sam". He was telling me that I made him happy. I fell in love with autism right there. I worked with him for 5 years and watched him grow. 

I stopped working with Samuel when I started working at Step By Step Academy (SBSA).  SBSA is a center based treatment center for kids on the spectrum. With my bachelors in psychology, I set to work to change the world, one child with autism at a time. 

Over the years, there have been many kids that I have worked with, however, there are ones that have a tug on my heart still. Each of them have had their challenges, but at the end of the day, I knew I was making a difference. I think one of the greatest things about autism is that it makes you appreciate your own life, your own shortcomings, issues, problems, etc. It makes you stop and think, "Is this really that important?"

The second time I fell in love with autism was at SBSA. This time was with a little girl, who we will call Ann. Ann was very different from Samuel (another great thing about autism; no two kids are alike!). Ann was bright, quick, and funny. Ann reminded me of myself in many ways; independent, head-strong, and encouraging. Ann didn't fair well with everyone, but Ann and I were a an instant hit. We bonded immediately and could be seen laughing and running through the hallways at the center. I loved that little girl; or I should say love. She's a teen now, and I still get to spend time with her here and there. She's still amazing, still head-strong, and still independent.

There have been several other kids that have impacted and further created my love for autism. After all, autism tells you, "Ms. Sam, why do you have those nasty things on your face?"(acne), or "I don't like your shirt, it's ugly." or even, "Bullshit. There's your compound word. Bull-Shit." 

12 years later, and over 6 years at Step By Step Academy, and falling in love with autism has been a defining moment for my career. It's shaped who I am, and who I want to be. I want to continue working and fighting for kids and families with autism. 

If you've not yet experienced autism, I encourage you to do so. There is something great about this diagnosis that makes even the worst moments worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment